Re: [Sheflug] Re: Printing

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:30:26AM +0000, Richard wrote:
> No, I've tried that as well :)  Still doesn't work with some of the
> printers I've seen.  What we need is something completely different
> and both Red Hat and SuSE have said the same thing in front of me
> several times.

	cups and lpd and what have you only spool stuff for the printer
to print. They spool "raw data" if you want (be it ASCII, PCL 3 or
PostScript for the rich and notorious that can afford them :D).
Translations from the actual data (say, ps->PCL) are usually
accomplished by gs, which seems to do a fine job for some printers, but
is hopeless for some others (cf. my prvious posting on HP890C). Of
course, it would be better if manufacturers actually published the
specs, but...

	And then, of course, you have the infamous WinPrinters. At this
rate, in five years' time, we'll probably have the WinBrains. Investing
a < 100 quid, you get a lobotomy and a reset button in your left ear.

	Regards,
	José
--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student