Re: [Sheflug] linux.org

I have to dispute the notion of DOS as an OS. DOS is an example of
a shell + some utilities. It lacks at least one fundamental part of
an OS - a kernel. There's virtually no management of... processes,
memory, disks, i/o ports, network,... In effect, every single
application program had to be its own kernel and do most of the
work itself. Apart from the odd few bits of drivers and TSR's, DOS
had none of the important features of a kernel.

That's where Win95 made a big difference. It may have been built
on top of DOS, but it added the kernel which gives it the functionality
of a _modern_ operating system (modern meaning 80's on).

A.D.