Re: [Sheflug] Power Failure - Dead machine. What to check?

Alex Hudson wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2001 14:36:48 +0000, Barrie Bremner wrote:
> > The fuse in the kettle lead hasn't blown, and I've got the PSU apart to
> > check the fuse (6.3A) in that. However, is there anything obvious I can
> > check?
>
> Yes. Scorch marks. If the psu took a bigish voltage hit, I would expect
> to see a few capacitors blow their top. You can't miss it. Same for
> resistors - they go a charred black colour, and the board will have
> brown marks surrounding the device both on top and below.
> Warning: OPENING A PSU IS DANGEROUS. YOU **CAN** PUT YOURSELF IN DANGER.
>
> Even a PSU not plugged into the mains is NOT safe. For it to be safe you
> need to leave it about 24 hours. At best, all you'd get would be a shock
> or a spark, at worst, depends on the PSU.

Yup - don't go lickin' the big caps :-)

The power supply is dead. I managed to swap in for the one running my
firewall (the firewall is now a lowly 486).

One of the caps in the PSU looks a little funny, but it's hard to say if
its the cap dumping it's innards, or if it's just some sealant stuff.

Either way, dead, dead, dead.

Strangely, the PSU is an AT, not ATX design - I thought all Pentium
systems were ATX. Obviously not.

Dunno if I'll even bother sorting the (second) P75 machine out...

Anyway cheers all.

Baz.

--
Barrie J. Bremner

TheEnglishman [at] ecosse.net | OpenPGP public key ID: 5164F553
	    http://www.geocities.com/thefatenglishman
	    [Contact information available at website]

   "Linux? Is that some kind of MacOS?"
      -- BT technical support