Re: [Sheflug] Help with netatalk

On Wednesday 31 January 2001  1:20 pm, you wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a shared directory which is accessible by a Mac. I've
> downloaded and installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm from the SuSE
> site but I can't work out what I need to change to configure it.
>
> We only have one Mac and I don't need to set up any printer shares, just a
> simple shared directory. I've looked at the various docs and config files
> but I'm not really any the wiser.
>
> I'm sure it's all mind numbingly simple but would appreciate any guidance
> anyone can give.

Indeed, it is mind numbingly simple....
After installing the netatalk package (assuming it works!) you should have a
directory called /etc/atalk created by the installation.
Have a look inside. In particular, there should be a file called
"AppleVolumes.default"

Inside this, there is some text blurb followed by a single line containing
"~". The refers to "the home directory of the user thats logged on"
Therefore, if you log on with your chooser under MacOS as user "pdm" you will
have access to the files under "/home/pdm" The password required will be the
user's linux password.

What I usually do is put the following in my AppleVolumes.default files:

~/AppleVolume
~/home/netatalk

In /home/<username>/Applevolume, each user can keep his private files while I
put any shared files and programs into /home/netatalk.

Once you have chosen your directories, simply restart netatalk
("/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk restart" or similar - I use Mandrake and RedHat and
this works for me)

Good Luck

Pieter