[Sheflug] Firewall ???

    richard> I have what I believe to be a standard Mandrake 8.1
    richard> install with security set to minimal but when I attempt
    richard> to telnet to the machine I am actually sitting at I get
    richard> the following.  telnet 127.0.0.1 Trying 127.0.0.1...
    richard> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection
    richard> refused

Is xinetd or inetd even running? Is telnet enabled?

    richard> This machine is set up on a network and has the address
    richard> 192.168.0.1 attempting to telnet to that gives the same
    richard> result.

    richard> I can connect out from this box but cannot connect from
    richard> the other computer. I presume there are some firewall
    richard> rules set somewhere but I can't find them.

    richard> Firing up iptables -L gives

    richard> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source
    richard> destination

    richard> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source
    richard> destination

    richard> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source
    richard> destination

I'm not sure if IPChains rules (which are just a layer across
IPTables) show up with the iptables -L command.
Try 'ipchains -L -n' just to be on the safe side.

If that comes back the same way as iptables, there are no firewall
rules set up.
There are certainly no iptables rules.

I'm off t'pub.

Baz.

--
Barrie J. Bremner		OpenPGP public key ID: F78CEE08
baz [at] barriebremner.com	http://barriebremner.com/