Re: [Sheflug] Re: SuSE server licensing

On Monday 03 November 2003 21:55, Richard wrote:
> Denis
>
> I'd use Debian :)  Lot of people do on full-sized enterprise servers.
>
> > Well, I just thought what the situation with SuSE server license?
> > Can I buy one official software package and install it on multiply
> > machines? Will I be able to apply patches, updates etc.?
> > Does this policy of SuSE Pro (when only one system will be supported,
> > but I still can install software on another machine) is applying to
> > servers as well?
>
> Don't know about the enterprise version.  TBH, they should have left
> the licencing situation alone.  In that way they would have offered
> something desirable.
>
> > I understand that the best way will be to ask SuSE guys, but somehow I
> > think these questions will be not welcomed there :)
> > Any info very much appreciated.
>
> Send mail to <roger [at] suse.co.uk>
Thanks Richard, Marcus.
I'll try to find out about SuSE 'official way' then. Hopefully they 'll be
more  responsive then RedHat. Yes, I've called Redhat UK last week, just
after release of RHEL to find out about their policies - 30min (I am not
joking) waiting on the phone (because "all of our advisers are busy assisting
other customers") with no luck! I don't know what they think about conquering
the market with such an "excellent" sale approach. I think Microsoft would
sell me entire stock while I was waiting for Redhat 'busy advisers'.
I also quite keen to give Debian a shot. No BSD though - we 've got 2 dual CPU
configurations and BSD is relatively new kid on the multi CPU block. (Don't
flame me BSD lovers :).
Thanks again,
Denis.

Sheffield Linux User's Group -
http://www.sheflug.co.uk/mailfaq.html

  GNU the choice of a complete generation.