Re: [Sheflug] Debian and the BBC

Lesley

> I used to be able to either watch the video's available on the BBC
> News website or listen to radio programmes or parts thereof using
> Firefox and RealPlayer in SuSE.

Try dropping this into your /etc/apt/sources.list

#  Multimedia stuff
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
# Backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib
non-free
# Debian volatile for Clamav and similar issues
deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
contrib non-free
### Opera Browser ###
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ etch non-free

Then run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  Then try to install the
appropriate libraries which aren't there just now.  Do 'apt-cache
search video' look at the libraries and other things in there.
Also 'apt-cache search sound'.  Then do 'apt-get install w32codecs'.
After that go to...

http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions

and do 'apt-get -t etch-backports install openoffice.org'.  That
should give you OpenOffice 2.2.

Hope that helps :)

--
Richard

        Sheffield Linux User's Group
  http://www.sheflug.org.uk/mailfaq.html
 GNU - The choice of a complete generation