Re: RAID or md options.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Barrie Bremner wrote:

>  However, rather than just partitioning/formatting it and shuffling a
> few things around, is there anyway to setup a RAID 0 configuration
> without starting everything over?

The only thing you'll be able to do is set up redundancy for the first
drive, which essentially throws away your second drive - everything else
(striping, etc.) needs a complete re-do, I'm afraid.

I'm not really sure why you'll need RAID anyway ;)) It may actually slow
down your system, depending on why you need the bandwidth (I presume
that's why you're doing it?) For example, if I'm doing some heavy duty
video stream generation (we're talking CCIR 601 spec. video here, baserate
21Mbs-1 no probs) I don't want that on the same spindle as my swap, I want
it on it's own IDE channel. RAID would actually slow my system, even
though it's providing greater (overall throughput).

Cheers,

Alex.