Re: [Sheflug] serial ports

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 10:57:28AM -0600, Ross's Mail wrote:
> it's integrated into the mother board and only seems to work under "windows"
> i have tried to set the port and irq via setserial and have followed th
> eadvice in the serial-how-to. i have a pnp isa modem installed which is
> detected and works fine on ttyS1. i changed the jumper on the pcb to set it
> up as ttyS0 thinking that it may have been in conflict with the existing

	If it is a PnP modem, you should not need to access any of the
jumpers. These are for configuring port and IRQ by hand, and will
disable PnP (at least in mine).
> interestingly though, after changing the jumper positions, the port moved
> from comm3 to comm4 under windows. this leads me to believe it is a pnp
> device that windows detects but linux doesn't. i have tried to identify it
> with isapnp utils with no joy :-(

	I believe it's more to do with the above paragraph. Make sure
you have your BIOS correctly set-up for this. I have been frustrated
time and time again because of forgetting about BIOS settings. My
suggestion is to do away with PnP, set it manually ("when men were
men") to something sensible, and then set the IRQ in the BIOS to be
reserved to Legacy ISA, or whatever you have to set it to to get rid of
the ISA PnP.

	So, if you set your modem to say COMm, and it's port, IRQ and
all that to (x,y), and your internal serial port to COMn and (x',y'),
and you set the IRQs in BIOS to be non-PnP, you should be happy.

	Hth,
	José
--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student
Tel: +44 114 222 5582			Radar & Communications Group