[Sheflug] serial ports

hi all,

i'm having trouble with the serial port on my pc.
it's integrated into the mother board and only seems to work under "windows"

i have tried to set the port and irq via setserial and have followed th
eadvice in the serial-how-to. i have a pnp isa modem installed which is
detected and works fine on ttyS1. i changed the jumper on the pcb to set it
up as ttyS0 thinking that it may have been in conflict with the existing
serial port. still no joy even though both still work under windows.
interestingly though, after changing the jumper positions, the port moved
from comm3 to comm4 under windows. this leads me to believe it is a pnp
device that windows detects but linux doesn't. i have tried to identify it
with isapnp utils with no joy :-(

can anyone suggest a solution to this as it is extremly frustrating to
reboot into windows to access terminal emulation.

many thanks
Ross