Re: [Sheflug] I-mac Off Topic Help

Hi Ian,

I do know something about Macs, but unless I actually sit in front of
the machine I can't really explain how to sort it out. Actually, in
general I'd say the Mac interface is really excellent. It's a
completely different design strategy from Linux - it's orientated
around people who DON'T LIKE COMPUTERS and JUST AREN'T INTERESTED -
they just want to get stuff done with apps.

For that, they're excellent. For hacking - they're a waste of space.

Anyway, on all the Macs I've used there isn't an "add & remove
programs" thingey. You just grab the stuff you don't want and trash
it! Apps tend to be bundled together in one file, rather than
spreading all sorts of horridly obscure config thingeys all over the
disk. Unfortunately that design strategy doesn't go along with the
Microsoft program.

Anyway, I digress - the point is, there are only a few places where
things get executed on startup on an IMac. Try:--

/Hard Disk/System Folder/Startup Items/
/Hard Disk/System Folder/Control Panels/
/Hard Disk/System Folder/Extensions/

(I'm actually taking these paths from the Desktop - in fact the
Desktop is an invisible directory next to the System Folder in the
Root Directory, which I've called "Hard Disk")

If I haven't got these names quite right then it doesn't really
matter - because (for those of you on the list who don't know...)
there IS NO SHELL on Macs. Everything is configured by dragging and
dropping things into and out of directories, and adding details to
GUI configurators. Now the ingenious thing about this design feature
is that EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CONFIGURABLE VIA A GUI. There is no
shell, so you, the user, never has to fiddle with one - developers
are forced to make their apps configurable via GUI.

So - my suggestion is this. Go into the "Extensions Manager" Control
Panel (That's a Control Panel that... does the dragging and dropping
for you! How easy can it get???) and select the Extensions Set MacOS9
Base (or whatever version of MacOS it is). When you close that GUI
that will remove all of the Extensions and Control Panels that
weren't supplied with the base system, and put them into folders
called "Control Panels Disabled" and "Extensions Disabled".

For neatness make a directory called "Startup Items Disabled". Then
check the Startup Items and drag anything suspicious-looking (if it
mentions Microsoft, get rid of it!) into that disabled folder.

Then restart, and you should have a virgin I-Mac back again. Then you
can add extra functionality by adding control panels and extensions
by hand, and find out what was causing the trouble by a process of
trial and error.

If you want to scope out extra info abut any item, highlight it and
press <Apple> and "I".

If you have to power off without shutting down for some reason, or
the system shows any instability, then restart and hold down <Apple>
and <Option> to rebuild the Desktop (various file finder databases)
which will generally spring-clean the system. (It takes about 2
minutes).

That's pretty much all you need to know. Sorry for being completely off topic.

Cheers,

James
=====

--