Re: [Sheflug] I-mac

Although it is probably possible to remove the offending program and it's
parts fairly easily, it might be just as easy to start over. To do that,
she'll need a MacOS system CD, and any software she wants to use. Then just
put the system CD in, do a restart, and hold down the "c" key while it
reboots. That will boot the system from the CD.

On the System CD you'll see a folder called Utilities,and inside it a folder
called "Drive Setup". Open Drive Setup and start the Drive Setup program.

It's pretty self explanatory--select the drive to format, click on
Initialize, and then go to Custom Setup and be sure the HFS+ file system is
selected. At this point you can also partition the drive. It's actually a
good idea to make two partitions, and use the second partition for a back
up. Of course if the entire drive mechanically fails, it's not much good,
but if something goes wrong with the system on the first partition, the
second will automatically boot. And if you want to experiment, you can set
the second partition as the active boot device, and experiment to your
heart's content, while everything on the first partition is untouched.
There's a control panel called "Start-up Disk" where the system you want to
boot can be set. (One of the very good features of the Mac.)

Once you've selected the file system and indicated any partitioning you want
(all this is optional; many people never customize, the defaults work quite
well) Just hit initialize, say yes to the obligatory "You are about to erase
all your data on this disk" and a very short time later, it's done.

Now be sure to EXIT THE FORMATTING PROGRAM.

Launch the installer from the CD, say yes to all the prompts, and that' it.
The only reason for most people to click on the Custom button on the install
is to add a non-English language kit (very popular here in Japan).

That's it, except for breaking the offending Explorer CD so it can't happen
again.

IE can be downloaded, or Netscape 4.7 is just fine. Resist the temptation to
install Netscape 6. I've had it corrupt my system and had to
reinstall--which is something that I seldom have to do with a Mac. I've
heard little good about it.

Steve Carter
Tokyo Linux Users Group
Tokyo, Japan