Re: assembler [was: Re: cheers for gogo]

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 11:56:16AM +0000, Bob Ham wrote:

> Ah, yes, when dealines come into it, I suppose you could lay the blame
> for bad programming on the language, but I wouldn't.  I was looking at
> it from the perspective of an Open Source coder, ie deadlines don't
> exist :)  Personally, I think bad programming is bad programming,
> regardless of whether or not you're in a rush; I'm one of those old
> fasioned people that believes in the value of a quality job; anything
> else isn't good enough IMHO.
>
> Bob

Deadlines most certainly exist for open source people. The only difference
is that because, at the moment, open source does not have a large industrial
base, there are very few external sources of deadlines. I certainly have
a deadline - I have 3 years to complete my PhD, including all the software
I have to write for it.

If you _really_ want a quality job, then you should have absolutely
no LOC. A language of choice constrains you too much. Every language
has its own particular area of expertise and I have yet to see one
which gives the programmer _all_ the tools you could possibly require.
C++, and C, are languages which are useful for most domains but the
master of none. Your language of choice should be different for
every single program you write.

A.D.