Re: Using kdm

----- Original Message -----
From: R.A.Fletcher <PMA99RAF [at] sheffield.ac.uk>
To: <sheflug [at] vuw.ac.nz>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2000 5:50 PM
Subject: Using kdm

> Kdm is installed on my SuSE 6.3 system. Id like it to appear
> everytime I boot, but I dont know how.
> Help Please!!

If you don't mind messing with the startup scripts then change the default
runlevel in /etc/inittab. In Slackware runlevel 3 is multiuser and 4 is
graphical logon and it will prolly be the same in SuSE. It should be
documented in the inittab file itself. I presume it looks for kdm/gdm first
and if it can't find them it spawns xdm. It's a sad day for linux when you
have to change things like that using the setup utilities.

--
If you can't do it well - learn to enjoy doing it badly

Andrew Basterfield
MEng Electronic & Communication Engineering Undergraduate
The University of Sheffield, England
Tel. 0114 222 9999 ex. 53198