Re: SMP in Linux

Dr C J Lamb wrote:

> Any suggestions as far as distro that the cogniscenti say
> has good SMP support? I'm not looking for bells and whistles
> as the machine will be headless so it'll have bins of X
> apps plus mostly custom stuff I have written (FEM analysis).

Asking this sort of question on a discussion list of this sort is like
sawing your own foot off.  I'd would normally go on about Red Hat or
SuSE but in educational situations I find it best to recommend Debian.
Only thing wrong with it is that when you run aptget you need a very
fast connection to download the updates.  Not recommend for dialup.

Those of us who use SuSE do so because we can get six CDs with all of
the technical and engineering stuff included and we don't have to
download much over the phone at all.  Whereas the Red Hat users get
not much and they have to download anything that they might want.
Either that or remain uninformed with some things ?  Star Office is
included in SuSE and if you do want an MS windows replacement then
this is the way to go.

Thanks

--
Richard