Re: Dual Processor boards

Craig Andrews wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently been fortunate enough to acquire a K6-2/500 at a
> respectable price. However, I don't really want to sell the 400, so my
> question is this. Does anyone know of a (cheap) super socket-7 board
> (preferably with a Via chipset. Don't ask why, they're just good) which
> supports two processors?
>
> If not, it looks like I'll have that annoying situation where one finds
> oneself with a spare 400MHz processor. <sigh>

Craig,

You're going to hate this but:

AMD uses OpenAPIC (sp?) and Intel uses some proprietory system that
they won't license to anyone. Regretably no motherboards (and no
OS's) are produced which support this [OpenAPIC]. To get SMP
you _need_ Intel processors. As far as SS7 boards go the HX allows
4 processors as well as the Abit BP6 which allows 2 Celerys to SMP.
The HX is out of production but you may be able to get one second hand.
The first processor which will have a mobo that supports OpenAPIC will
be the Athlon (AMD will produce the chipset themselves) and a
special ver. of NT will be released to support it. The specs will be
released
to commercial Unices (and Linux, BSD et al will have a go I'm sure).
 Just wait until Q4 of this year and more will be known.

regards

Chris