Re: [Sheflug] Re: Printing

Hi Ian,
On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:58:42AM -0000, Ian Wright wrote:
> lp:
> no daemon to abort
> lp:
> daemon started
>
> However, when I do another 'status', I get the same message as I did
> initially - i.e. no daemon present.

	I don't think this is an issue, but try doing say
	cat /etc/passwd > /dev/lpX
	to see whether something prints (it'll print out with
		this sort
			of stupid
				effect, but
					at least...)

> I assume its meaning lpd but that seems to be there in /var/spool and seems
> to start when the machine does. I've checked the kernel config (by doing a

	Don't assume that the kernel config is the kernel you have!
(unless you compiled it yourself). Try doing /sbin/lsmod (that lists the
modules in the kernel at present) and see whether you have the lp module
there.
	Try to start lpd yourself (either by invoking the
/etc/rc.d/init.d script manually, or by calling the daemon as an
executable). Also, check the logs. If there's a fundamental error in
what you're doing, and the server is dying on you, it should tell you
why that is.

	Hope this helps,
	José
--