Re: [Sheflug] ShefLUG - May/June 2008 Meeting

Ben

Forwarded from ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx after Mailman ate it....

> Oh.. we haven't seen any under 18s for four or five years now :)
> Seems as if the teachers/parents in Sheffield have been
brainwashed
> too much in the direction of winduhs ;)
>
> I'll go and find out for you.  You are doing this with the
consent and
> knowledge of your parents aren't you ?  Good idea to ask first.

>Argh, turns out it doesn't matter as I can't make it anyway. Yes, I
>do have their permission. Could you find out for next time? Our IT
>teacher once threw us off the computers for mentioning open source!

Yes.  It's strange you should say that.  On every occasion that I have
tried to organise a meeting at a Sheffield school it has been blocked.
When I finally managed to get something together I was told that it
would cost £200 to hire a room.  Which was half the size of a room at
Sheffield Hallam University at a cost of £100.

To relate back to my own school days.  When I was eight years old I
began to take an interest in transistors.  This was at a time when
everyone was still using valves.  When my teachers found out that I
was using a Philips electronic kit to build a transceiver it was
confiscated.  Same thing happened when I was thirteen.  Then they
wondered why I couldn't take a degree in electronic engineering or
electrical engineering.  After they had confiscated my means of
learning from me twice.  Sound familiar ? Later on I found people who
wanted to be my friend.  Early 20's.  They had been through some
enormously expensive public schools.  Parents paid £10 000 to £20 000
per year for schooling.  Lot of money in those days.  They told me
that they had same thing done to them.  When I got to be 35 years old
I took a degree in Chemistry and Geology.  Then they screwed it up
again.  Do I have to say any more ?

So, don't ask your teacher for help and you should be fine.  At least,
that's how it was for me.  Recently there was a news item which
claimed that something like 18 000 to 24 000 teachers had been proved
to be incompetent.  Lets see where is it.....  Oh ! Here we go...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article3858171.ece
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article3866953.ece

bit sad really :)

--