Re: [Sheflug] ShefLUG - May/June 2008 Meeting

> Thankfully once you get to Uni the experience is much better. At
> Sheffield Hallam Unix and Linux was a module for me for two consecutive
> years. All our lab machines were dual boot and some professors were
> often openly anti-MS in lectures. I just learned from a friend that
> Sheffield Uni is also very similar in policy too.

I think this was partly something to do with myself.  I kept on
touring the local Universities during the 90's.  First reactions
weren't good.  One or two hostile reactions.  Eventually I think I
managed to get through to someone.  Various international meetings to
do with the FSF and other well known open source luminaries held at
both Universities and organised by student groups and sponsored by
the IEE and the BCS would seem to have had some effect somewhere.

I remember back in 1993 being thrown out through the door at SHU for
showing someone else my SuSE 0.99 CDs.  At least from the point of
view of the local Universities things have changed a lot :)

--
Richard

        Sheffield Linux User's Group
  http://www.sheflug.org.uk/mailfaq.html
 GNU - The choice of a complete generation