[Sheflug] re-install

I have a system dual booting between caldera and win98, using grub as the
boot manager. Win has become so unstable I need to reinstall it. The
problem is that windows will want to rewrite the boot sector during the
install. Is it possible under linux to write-protect the boot sector so win
can't touch it, or if not, how would I go about making a back up of the
boot sector and then restore this after windows has finished messing it up?

thanks,
damian